Alright, not gonna lie this is going to be a lot harder than first anticipated. I've only been here for 3 full days and I'm already having a hard time writing a coherent blog post for several reasons. First off, we have done so much in the past 72 hours that I can't even remember all the things we've done, let alone the succession of events. Second, I'm already kicking myself for wasting time on the internet. And third, you pay for internet by the megabyte here. With that said, I'm gonna go ahead and do my best because I know you guys miss me sooo much and all want to hear about my adventures so you can live vicariously through me. Highlights so far include:
- Spending a total of 23 hours on an airplane. As horrible as this sounds I actually spent the majority of the time sleeping (thanks to the 2 empty seats next to me) or chatting with Grace, a 10 year old flying home to Swaziland alone after spending summer vacation in New York with her mom.
- Being greeted at the airport by our "r.a." Ben who, dispite the fact that none of us had ever met him nor knew anything about him, knew all of our names and acted as if we were old friends. Ben in general has continued to be a highlight of the trip. He is not only hilarious but also very resourceful- giving us tips like, "This is Wimpy's. They have good hamburgers. However, I have never eaten there and not had some sort of digestive issue after." He also informed us that car guards sell crystal meth (called tic) made entirely of rat poisoning and talcum powder which does nothing but cause seizures.
- A trip to Signal Hill. The view of the city, beach, and Table Mountain were indescribable so you should all just google earth it right now. The trip would obviously not have been complete without a jumping picture.
- A welcome braai (South African BBQ) at our program director Vernon's house where I first tried both lamb and South African wine- something I have since learned is both cheap and delicious.
- Living in an absolutely gorgeous home complete with a pool that I've used every day since we arrived.
- Being surrounded by an amazing group of people-Dana and I were talking last night and decided that uconn must have chosen the 23 funniest people at our school and shipped them all here because seriously everyone has made me laugh. Now is probably a good time to also mention that we've already received 5 noise complaints from the neighbors. Woopsie, I guess we shouldn't have left the windows open as 17 of us gathered in the kitchen and tried to hold individual conversations at 2 am on Monday morning.... I also can't not include the fact that we have a former boxer as a body guard (named Parks) who could not possibly be any cuter.
- Going to Robben Island today. Not only did I see the cell where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner for 28 years but our tour guide was also a former prisoner and told us his incredible story as well.
Even though there's tons more I could mention, my computer is about to die- something that is rather concerning considering converters have been out at the grocery store since we got here so we're all still sharing the one we found in the house. Ta ta for now!
- Being greeted at the airport by our "r.a." Ben who, dispite the fact that none of us had ever met him nor knew anything about him, knew all of our names and acted as if we were old friends. Ben in general has continued to be a highlight of the trip. He is not only hilarious but also very resourceful- giving us tips like, "This is Wimpy's. They have good hamburgers. However, I have never eaten there and not had some sort of digestive issue after." He also informed us that car guards sell crystal meth (called tic) made entirely of rat poisoning and talcum powder which does nothing but cause seizures.
- A trip to Signal Hill. The view of the city, beach, and Table Mountain were indescribable so you should all just google earth it right now. The trip would obviously not have been complete without a jumping picture.
- A welcome braai (South African BBQ) at our program director Vernon's house where I first tried both lamb and South African wine- something I have since learned is both cheap and delicious.
- Living in an absolutely gorgeous home complete with a pool that I've used every day since we arrived.
- Being surrounded by an amazing group of people-Dana and I were talking last night and decided that uconn must have chosen the 23 funniest people at our school and shipped them all here because seriously everyone has made me laugh. Now is probably a good time to also mention that we've already received 5 noise complaints from the neighbors. Woopsie, I guess we shouldn't have left the windows open as 17 of us gathered in the kitchen and tried to hold individual conversations at 2 am on Monday morning.... I also can't not include the fact that we have a former boxer as a body guard (named Parks) who could not possibly be any cuter.
- Going to Robben Island today. Not only did I see the cell where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner for 28 years but our tour guide was also a former prisoner and told us his incredible story as well.
Even though there's tons more I could mention, my computer is about to die- something that is rather concerning considering converters have been out at the grocery store since we got here so we're all still sharing the one we found in the house. Ta ta for now!
Sounds awesome Kitten! Keep em coming....
ReplyDeleteStrong blogwork Kato! Thanks for the email! Loves Dad
ReplyDeleteHello again kmcminimee I see that you did not follow my advice regarding the photos uploaded to your blog. Also is methamphetamine in the "tic" as well as the other above listed ingredients? If so I would appreciate it if you would contact me at jediblogsurfer1@yahoo.com. If you are too shy to post semi-nude pictures of yourself then maybe you could try taking some photographs of the indigenous women in the area. Did you know that National Geographic issue #387 containing photos of bare chested African tribeswomen was the highest grossing NatGeo of all time? Remember SEX SELLS.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, Anon Web Surfer