It all started Monday night when I first got word of the horrible snow storm that was to hit Hartford Tuesday night. After discussing my options with my parents and second family the Navalances, we decided it would be better to leave as early in the day as possible to avoid the storms aftermath. So at noon on Tuesday, we switched my flight to 6:30 am Wednesday morning. From that point further I was officially on packing overload, shoving things in random pockets and scrambling around to pick up last minute items before the next morning. But the story doesn't end there. Shortly after my 4 am wake up call, we got word that every single flight into Hartford up until 1 pm had already been cancelled. I was scheduled to fly to Vegas and then on to Hartford, arriving at 4: 30 pm. After a near nervous break down on the way to the airport, we collectively decided to reschedule me to leave at 11:30 on a flight through Chicago. With all this new found time what else was there to do but go back to sleep. Typical me huh?
Anywho, long story short, on the way to airport for a second time that day, we got word it had still not stopped snowing and therefore thought it would be smart to get me on the first flight out Thursday morning, to New York this time. As luck would have it, there was one seat left on what would surely have been the longest (and worst) travel day of my life as it consisted of 3 stops and 12 hours of flying before arriving in La Guardia. And here's the kicker- it could be all mine for the small fee of $300 dollars. My dad, being the faithful DIAMOND Skymiles member that he is, immediately got on the phone with Delta and got me on the red eye to JFK tonight, something only he would think is a good idea. So there you have it. I leave Salt Lake tonight at 11:45 and have the fortunate opportunity to fly 5 hours to JFK, only to de-board, claim my luggage, check in, and board the 15 hour flight to Cape Town. Comment on this post if your jealous of that!!
However, some very good things did in fact come out of my 2 extra days in Salt Lake. For one, I had a chance to re-pack my suitcases, and even got some good laughs about last minute items that I have no recollection of packing. Ex. a pair of shoes I've owned since the 6th grade which were intended for the good will pile. I also got to go to the Jazz game last night thanks to a very generous donor (Zack McKown). Not only were the tickets free, but the seats and company were prime. Exhibit A below.
AND, the jazz beat the Knicks. What more could I have asked for? Especially since I got to go to Ichiban Sushi for a beloved Las Vegas roll one last time too! All in all, it's been a good last two days. Wish me luck as I travel across the world tonight/tomorrow!
very jealous of 20 straight hours of travel. when will blogger post again? also think picture is great but if kmcminimee wants a larger following she will need to be willing to post pictures of a more "risque" nature. sincerely, anonymous web surfer
ReplyDeleteI am all ears to hear more about your trip! Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteYikes Kitten! That sounds horrid. I hope you arrived safely and are settling in. Love ya!!
ReplyDeletethis has got to be thee most incredible thing i have ever read in my life. your touching words have inspired me to go get a journal tomorrow and start writing my deepest darkest awesomest secrets/ stories/ whatever...haha this is great, keep up the good work cant wait to read more.
ReplyDeletei'm enjoying the revamped "blue look" of the blog. i'm glad you made it safely and i cannot wait for our next face time.
ReplyDelete